Monthly Archives: February 2014

The View From 101 York – March 2014

LW Reedy has been serving the Elmhurst community and surrounding areas since 1951. As the largest locally-owned real estate agency in Elmhurst, we have a passion for local news and events. Here’s our view of the community for this month, from our perch at 101 York in the heart of downtown Elmhurst.

Throughout MarchImage

SpotLight Exhibition at Elmhurst Art Museum

This exhibit presents ten artists who use LED lights, laser levels, light boxes, and neon tubes as sculptural materials. The SpotLight exhibit presents work by Paola Cabal, Dana Carter, Spencer Finch, Dana Major, Daniel Miller, Jeroen Nelemans, Jason Peot, Morgan Sims, Jan Tichy and Monika Wulfers. On Friday, March 14th, Dana Carter will present a talk on her use of light and shadow. For more information, visit the Elmhurst Art Museum web site.

Every Tuesday This Month

$5 Films at Classic Cinema Theatre

Catch a first-run movie for only $5 at York Theatre all day on Tuesdays. To see what’s playing, click here.  While you’re there, walk upstairs to the Theatre Historical Society of America and learn about the place historic theatres hold in our nation’s history. The current exhibit focuses on the evolution of the Cultural District in Pittsburgh, and looks at three representative theatres that contributed to the revitalization there.

Sunday, March 9, 2014Image

What’s Cooking? at Fullersburg Woods

Reacquaint yourself with the great outdoors with a walk in the woods from noon to 3 pm. You will find out how to turn tree sap into syrup and participate in a host of ongoing activities appropriate for all ages. The event is free and registration is not required. Call (630) 850-8110 or visit this website for more information.

March 13, 2014

Spring Night Hike at Mayslake

Explore the Mayslake Peabody Estate between 7 and 8:30 pm and see who or what is out and about after dark. Ages 7 and up are welcome and people under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. The event is free, but you must register by calling (630) 206-9581.

March 13, 2014

Sherlock, Jr.: Silent Film Series at Elmhurst Public Library

If wandering around in the dark isn’t your thing, enjoy a silent movie with Robert K Elder, the Chicago Sun-Times Media Local editor-in-chief. Mr. Elder will lead a delightful excursion into Sherlock, Jr., part of a Silent Film library series screening films from the 1920s that Carl Sandburg reviewed while film critic for the Chicago Daily News. Mr. Elder will discuss the context and background of this Buster Keaton film from 1924. The movie lasts 45 minutes. Discussion starts at 7:00 pm at the Elmhurst Public Library at 125 S. Prospect Avenue in Elmhurst. For more information, please call 630-833-1457 or email ehm@elmhurst.org. The cost is free, but registration is required.

March 19, 2014

18th Annual District 205 Chess Tournament

Looking for young chess players to participate in the Annual District 205 Chess Tournament. Check-in starts at 5:30 pm at the York High School’s Commons. Students will compete in one of three categories, second through fifth grade, sixth through eighth grade, and high school. Last year there were over 200 children in the tournament, which is open to all Elmhurst residents and students in District 205 in the appropriate grades. A signed permission slip and a tournament fee of $3.00 is required. All participants will receive a certificate of participation, winners will receive ribbons, and the grand winner will receive a trophy. Raffle prizes will be awarded and pizza will be sold throughout the evening.

Independent chess experts will act as judges. Contact your child’s school chess club leader for permission slips and rules. For more information, contact Kara Caforio at 630-833-4003 or kcaforio@sbcglobal.net. Permission slips are due by March 14.

March 20 through 23, 2014

ImageAida presented by York Drama

York Drama presents Elton John and Time Rice’s award winning show, Aida. Shows on March 20 through 22 start at 7:30 pm and the show on March 23rd starts at 2:00 pm. Tickets are $9 for adults and $7 for students and sell out quickly. All seating is reserved and ticket pre-sale dates are at York High School during these times. Get your ticket as soon as you can. You don’t want to miss this.

March 24 through March 28, 2014

Space Week at Wonder Works

Children and adults can explore what it is like to be a real astronaut or astronomer. Take part in astronaut boot camp just like the real training NASA astronauts get. Create celestial art projects or watch a star-studded show in the planetarium. All Space Week activities are held at WonderWorks Children’s Museum in Oak Park and are geared towards 3 to 6 year old space travelers. General museum admission is $6 per person and includes Space Week activities. Click here for more information.

Tagged

The Roots of Elmhurst

Elmhurst is made up of many different neighborhoods, some developed over a century ago. Here is the second in our series, “Elmhurst Neighborhoods,” that explores how these neighborhoods contributed to the rich tapestry of Elmhurst’s diverse history.

BLog 2 map

While not technically a subdivision, this section of Elmhurst is so rich in heritage, it will receive not one, but two reviews. This first installment will look at Elmhurst’s beginnings. Later we will look at the impressive cultural institutions that contribute to the very heart of the city.

Many of Elmhurst’s first families came from western New York state, and so what was originally called Brush Hills Road was soon changed to York Street, which serves as the eastern border of this historic neighborhood. The longest north-south street within Elmhurst, outside of town it is known as York Road.

At the northeast corner of St. Charles and Cottage Hill, a marker placed by the Martha Ibbetson Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1936 commemorates the original site of the Cottage Hill Tavern, built in 1843 to serve travelers as they rode on St. Charles Road from Geneva to Chicago. The Tavern was moved to 413 South York Street by John Case in 1891, which allowed Frank Sturges to build his estate in 1893, an impressive gray marble home with trees, rare shrubs and a winding path and drive around it.

Picture originally appeared in Treasures of Elmhurst History by Judy Biggins, et al published 2007 by Cottage Hill Ink

Picture originally appeared in Treasures of Elmhurst History by Judy Biggins, et al published 2007 by Cottage Hill Ink

Traveling down York Street allows a view of what remains of the Sturgis house, two ancient looking pillars standing in a yard at the southwestern intersection of Elmwood and York. These pillars marked the entrance of the Sturges estate, which extended all the way to St. Charles Road. Originally named Broad Street, Elmwood Terrace was the northern boundary of the Frank Sturgess property. The name of the street was inspired by the beautiful elm trees growing there when it was sub-divided. Sturges Parkway, which runs parallel to York Street and for just one block north of St. Charles Road, takes its name from its former owner.

elmhurst public school

Picture taken from Visionary, An Elmhurst Retrospective by Virginia Stewart, published by the Elmhurst Historical Museum, City of Elmhurst, Illinois in 2006.

About a block north of the pillars, two schools have grown up together. The first public school in Elmhurst was built in 1888 at 145 Arthur Street.

Initially named Cottage Hill School, and then Elmhurst Grade School, the name was finally changed in 1905 to Hawthorne in honor of Nathanial Hawthorne, the novelist. In 1892, a two-year high school was added and later expanded to a four year school named Elmhurst High School, which was housed on the top floor of the grade school. In 1918, a large piece of property on St. Charles Road was purchased for a new high school after a fire destroyed the old school building. Hawthorne School was rebuilt as a grade school and in 2007, a massive renovation was approved.

In 1863, St. Mary’s was the first church built in Elmhurst. St. Mary’s burned down in 1898 and was rebuilt on a larger piece of land just south of the old location so that a school could be added. In 1900, the new Immaculate Conception school opened with 40 students in eight grades, run by two sisters and a postulant. As the school grew, the church bought the present property on York and Arthur Streets and a new building was eventually built. The current building was completed in 1929, and the school has undergone many changes since then, including setting a trend. Immaculate Conception High School was the first coeducational Catholic High School in DuPage County.

The properties in this area of Elmhurst hold both historic significance and contemporary amenities as they have been refurbished to reflect past glories and current requirements of the modern family. If you are interested in viewing homes in the area, use LW Reedy’s new MLS Mapping Search tool or contact a LW Reedy Agent for information on this, or any of Elmhurst’s wonderful neighborhoods.

Residents of this neighborhood are in the award winning Elmhurst School District 205 and would attend Hawthorne Grade School, Sandburg Middle School and York High School. Click here for more information on those schools and links to school reports and more.

We gratefully acknowledge all of the time and assistance the good people at Elmhurst Historical Museum provided in our research. They were, and will continue to be, an invaluable resource for this series.

The Roots of Elmhurst