Monthly Archives: October 2014

From Historic Hospital to One-of-a-kind Homes

hospitalElmhurst Hospital was the dream of Dr. E. W. Marquardt, a physician and resident of Elmhurst. Up until the mid 1920s, people who needed hospital care were taken to West Suburban Hospital in Oak Park or one of the hospitals in Chicago. In 1920, a group of citizens presented the Elmhurst City Council with a petition requesting a city hospital. In 1921, Dr. Marquardt made a presentation to the Elmhurst Boosters Club, who endorsed the plan. They sold shares of stock in the Elmhurst Hospital Association and people throughout DuPage County contributed to the effort to build the first hospital in the County.

The Elmhurst Woman’s Club, the True Kindred Conclave of Elmhurst, and members of the Elmhurst Golf Club all donated to the cause. Dr. hospital handbillMarquardt himself supplied one of the operating rooms. When the hospital opened, it had a lobby, accommodations for eighty-five patients, administrative offices, two operating rooms, a twenty bed nursery, pediatrics, mothers and obstetrical departments, a laundry, drug room, laboratory and x-ray department, and an emergency room. The hospital was dedicated on October 10, 1926 with a well-attended ceremony where Dr. Marquardt said, “The safeguarding of life is the supreme and foremost duty of a community toward its members, and this is what this institution stands for.”

In 1934, the hospital was reorganized to a community-owned, not-for-profit organization and renamed Elmhurst Community Hospital. The name was changed in 1946 to Memorial Hospital of DuPage County in honor of those who had served in World War II. In 1983, it was changed again to Elmhurst Memorial Hospital. When the hospital celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2001, it had 427 licensed beds, 2,500 employees and nearly 600 physicians.

cupolaFast forward to 2014, when in an act of reverence for the old building, Nitti Development donated the symbolic cupola from the old hospital building to the City of Elmhurst. Lee Daniels, the main driver behind saving the cupola, may have said it best when he remarked that the cupola is more than a piece of architecture, “It represents all that is good about Elmhurst.”

According to their website, Nitti Development from Glendale Heights will be building 56 amazing homes with underground utilities and brand new infrastructure. It will have Elmhurst’s first Permeable Paver Streets, open green space on the west side of the development with a walkway from Schiller Street to 3rd Street. The homes will have close proximity to schools, parks and downtown Elmhurst. For more information, contact an experienced LW Reedy realtor.316 Third Street

Pictured is an example of a home planned for 316 Third Street. This home combines a natural stone exterior with a kitchen that features a butler’s pantry and walk-in storage pantry, raised ceilings in all bedrooms and a light and airy master bath. This home features four bedrooms, three and a half bathrooms, with 3,500 sq. ft. of living space. In general, the lots will range from 7,000 to 21,000 square feet with homes in Phase I from 3,200 to Berteau site map3,750 square feet of living space.

These incredible homes will make an excellent addition to this historic neighborhood. With a beautiful state-of-the art hospital now settled successfully across town, Dr. Marquardt would certainly approve of the new Berteau neighborhood.

Elmhurst’s First Neighborhood – Part 2

un named mapThis is our second look at a neighborhood so iconic, as far we can tell no one ever thought to name it. Stretching from St. Charles Road on the North to the Prairie Path on the South and York Street to Spring Road, it was home to estates built for the most important forefathers of Elmhurst. This time we are going to look at some of the unusual architecture in the area, as well as, some other points of interest in its history.

One of the oldest features of Elmhurst, is the Elmhurst Great Western Prairie, which runs five miles through Elmhurst and has been billed as “A Piece of the Past…A Part of the Future.” The path started out as a clearing for train tracks, which was Prairie Pathmowed but not developed. When the railroad tracks were removed, the Illinois Prairie Path was established with native prairie plants once again growing wild and preserving a part of Illinois history. As one of only a few original prairies remaining, it is a reminder of what the landscape looked like as the settlers arrived and showcases over 150 species of plants including shooting star, spiderwort, asters, coneflowers, and large bluestem and Indian grasses.

490 S. York

Adjacent to the Prairie Path, a regal reminder of days gone by sits at 490 South York Street. This home was occupied for a time by a Baron von Bielenfield and his family, after being occupied by Mrs. Mary Goebel, the great granddaughter of Conrad Fischer, one of Elmhurst’s earliest settlers.

From 1920 to 1924, part of the estate of Thomas B. Bryan was home to an orphanage at the southwest corner of York Street and St. Charles Road. It was run by the Sisters of St. Mary and was called the St. Mary’s Home for Children. When the facility closed, the children were moved to an orphanage on Jackson Boulevard in Chicago.Fred LaFave Addition

We talked about the Lindlahr Sanitarium last time. A young builder named Fred LaFave, an associate of Walter Burley Griffin and Frank Lloyd Wright, purchased the land where the sanitarium stood and renamed it LaFave’s Addition, roughly consisting of Prospect and Mitchell from St. Charles Road to Eggleston.

413 Mitchell

The LaFave family made their home in part of the old sanitarium building while all of the other buildings were torn down to make room for the new homes, featuring many different designs. The ones that stand out, however, exhibit a definite Spanish influence on Mitchell and the beautiful Tudor at 204 W.  St. Charles Road.

The homes in this subdivision currently range from $300,000 to over a million dollars. Some of the homes for sale today were built while Elmhurst was in its heyday and reflect the glory and majesty of the gilded age of Elmhurst. If you are interested in looking at homes in this or any of Elmhurst’s unique neighborhoods, call a knowledgeable realtor at LW Reedy.

Residents of this neighborhood are in the award winning Elmhurst School District 205 and would attend Hawthorne Elementary Grade School, Sandburg Middle School and York High School. Click here for more information on those schools, links to school reports and more.

All pictures were provided by the Elmhurst Historical Museum. Special thanks to Nancy Wilson of the Elmhurst Historical Museum for her help and support.

The View from 101 York – October 2014

LW Reedy has been serving the Elmhurst community and surrounding areas since 1951. As the largest locally-owned real estate agency in Elmhurst, we have a passion for local news and events. Here’s our view of the community for this month, from our perch at 101 York in the heart of downtown Elmhurst.

October 1 – 10, 2014
Partners for Peace Clothing and School Supplies Collection

The Partners for Peace will be collecting clothing and school supplies for the first ten days of October. On October 11, more than 100 students, faculty and staff from Elmhurst College will distribute the donations, do free health screenings and work at a food pantry. Please bring donations to the Niebuhr Center, 190 Prospect Avenue, in Elmhurst. For more information, call (630) 617-3492 or email trudys@elmhurst.edu.

October 5, 2014
Fall Color 5K Run & Walk

Celebrate Fall Color Fest at Morton Aboretum by participating in the Fall Color 5K Run and Walk. With a challenging USATF-certified course, proceeds from the run will support The Morton Arboretum’s mission of creating a greener, healthier and more beautiful world. For more information, or to register, please click here.

October 9 – 11, 2014
St. Charles Scarecrow Fest

Make the St. scarecrowfest logo-regCharles Scarecrow Festival your new family tradition and create warm and lasting memories with your children. Choose your favorite of over 150 scarecrows entered in the scarecrow contest, enjoy live entertainment, an arts and crafts show, carnival and petting zoo. Soak in the beauty of the river while sampling from many food vendors. With free parking and trolleys, your family will want to return year after year. Hours of the festival are Friday and Saturday from 10:00 am to 9:00 pm and Sunday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.

October 11, 2014
The York and Vallette Fall Fest & Safe Trick-or-Treating

Closer to home, come to the fountain by the Prairie Path and safety townlet the kids decorate some pumpkins, listen to stories, show off their skill in the bean bag toss, ride a pony, or jump in a bouncy house. Don’t forget to put the kids in their costumes and take a walk through Safety Town for some safe Trick-or-Treating. The fun runs from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.

October 16 – 19, 2014
She Loves Me at Elmhurst College Theatre

cultural_events_theatre_06Take in a show at the Mills Theatre on Elmhurst College’s beautiful campus. The same people who wrote Fiddler on the Roof have created an innocently romantic 1930s musical that explores the loving relationship of two adult pen pals who don’t know that they also work together. A lovely, heartwarming story with beautiful music. Shows are at 8:00 pm Thursday through Saturday and 2:00 pm on Sunday. Admission is $7 for adults, $6 for seniors and $5 for students. Email mill@elmhurst.edu for ticket information.

October 25, 2014bootiful saturday
Boo-tiful Saturday

Start the day with a free movie at York Theatre at 9:30am and then immediately hit all of the stores along York Road for Trick or Treating and other fun activities.

October 30 and 31, 2014
Jazz at the Mill

The Jazz Lab Band, directed by Mike Pinto, and vocal jazz group Blue, directed by Gayle Bisesi, will present contemporary jazz selections in this free concert in the Mill Theatre at 7:30 pm on the 30th. Doug Beach will lead the Elmhurst Jazz band on the 31st along with the vocal jazz ensemble, Late Night Blues, directed by Sue Moninger. Email joannek@elmhurst.edu or call (630) 617-3515 for more information.